Computer Science 170: Introduction to Computer Science I
Section 3: MWF 10:30-11:20am VH 1236
Lab: Tu 10:30-11:20am VH 1232
The syllabus for CS 170.
- Due to family issues, I will be out of town next week. Class is
cancelled on Monday, December 3 and Friday, December 7. There will
be no Lab on Tuesday, December 4.
- There will be a special Exam Review session during class on
Wednesday, December 5. The study guide for the exam is now
available on the class web page.
- The final exam will take place as scheduled on Thursday, December
We are using a free online textbook. The title of the book links
to pdf containing the entire text. Be careful, because there are
lots of versions of this text and this is the particular one that I
will be using.
We will be using Python for this class. Free versions of the
Python software, including the Idle development environment are available online through www.python.org, which also has lots
of other good stuff. As of July 2018, the two latest released versions
of Python are 2.7.15 and 3.7.0. For this class you want version 3.7.0, NOT version 2.6 or 2.7. This is important.
Python is part of the student image and should be available on all
Truman-provided computers. If the idea of installing software on your
computer is a little daunting, you might wait until I go over this a
little bit in class or you might ask me about it.
- There will be approximately 6 programming assignments during the semester.
- Program 1 - Fun with Rectangular Cuboids
Assignment date: 31 August 2018 Due Date: 10 September 2018
- Program 2 - Zeller's Congruence
Assignment date: 19 September 2018 Due Date: 28 September 2018
- Program 3 - Files and Dictionaries
Assignment date: 2 November 2018 Due Date: 10 November 2018
- Program 4 - Classes and Methods
Assignment date: 27 November 2018 Due Date: 4 December 2018
- There will be roughly a lab a week, held on Tuesdays in VH 1232. Nearly every week there will be a lab programming assignment.
- Lab 1 - Getting Started with Python
Lab Date: 21 August 2018 Due Date: 22
- Lab 2 - Modifying a Python Program
Lab Date: 28 August 2018 Due Date: 29
- Lab 3 - Fun with Factorial
Lab Date: 4 September 2018 Due Date: 5
- Lab 4 - Been caught speeding. . .
Lab Date: 11 September 2018 Due Date: 16
- Lab 5 - Data Validation Loops
Lab Date: 18 September 2018 Due Date: 21
- Lab 6 - Turtle Graphics
Lab Date: 25 September 2018 Due Date: 29
- Lab 7 - DNA Strings
Lab Date: 2 October 2018 Due Date: 6
- Lab 8 - ISBN Numbers
Lab Date: 9 October 2018 Due Date: 11
- Lab 9 - List function
Lab Date: 23 October 2018 Due Date: 27
- No lab on Tuesday, October 30. It will be Wednesday instead.
- Lab 10 - Files and Dictionaries
Lab Date: 31 October 2018 Due Date: 3
- Lab 11 - Image Processing
Lab Date: 13 November 2018 Due Date: 15
- Lab 12 - Creating a Class
Lab Date: 27 November 2018 Due Date: 1