Computer Science 180: Foundations of Computer Science I
Section 2: MWF 12:30-1:20pm VH 1328
Lab: T 12:30-1:20pm VH 1232
The course syllabus is available online.
All tutoring hours are held in VH 2110, the small Math/CS computer lab
right by the Department Office. The tutor for this
class is Carl.
- Monday, 3:30-5:30pm (Carl)
- Wednesday, 3:30-5:30pm (Carl)
There is one required textbooks for this class:
- Starting Out with C++: From Control Structures through Objects by
Tony Gaddis, Pearson, 2018,
A C++ language style guide will be adhered to in this course.
A calendar that we might approximately follow is available. Technically this is from Dr. Beck's sections, but it gives you an idea.
Chapter 1 textbook slides
Chapter 2 textbook slides
Clang Compiler on Windows
Thanks to John Neitzke for preparing A guide to installing Code Blocks and Clang on Windows.
- There will be roughly 7 programming assignments during the semester.
- There will be roughly a lab a week, held on Tuesdays in VH 1232.
- Lab 1 - Getting Started wth C++ on Linux
Lab Date: 21 August 2018 Due Date: 23
- Lab 2: Simple Arithmetic in C++
Lab Date: 28 August 2018 Due Date: 2 September 2018
- Lab 3: Calculations and Formatting
Lab Date: 4 September 2018 Due Date: 8 September 2018
- Lab 4: Calculations, Random and Formatting
Lab Date: 11 September 2018 Due Date: 16 September 2018
- Lab 5: Decisions
Lab Date: 18 September 2018 Due Date: 22 September 2018
- Lab 6: The While Loop
Lab Date: 25 September 2018 Due Date: 29 September 2018
- Lab 7: For Loop and Text Files
Lab Date: 2 October 2018 Due Date: 6 October 2018
- Lab 8: Functions and Text Files
Lab Date: 9 October 2018 Due Date: 13 October 2018
- Lab 10: Arrays, Functions, and Files
Lab Date: 23 October 2018 Due Date: 27 October 2018
- Lab 11: Searching and Sorting
Lab Date: 30 October 2018 Due Date: 3 November 2018
- Lab 12: A Dynamic Array
Lab Date: 6 November 2018 Due Date: 10 November 2018
- Lab 13: C++ Strings
Lab Date: 13 November 2018 Due Date: 14 November 2018