Computer Science 291: Models of Computation
Section 1: MWF 8:30-9:20am VH 1236
The course syllabus is available online.
There is one required textbooks for this class:
- Discrete Structures, Logic, and Computability by James
L. Hein, Fourth Edition, Jones &
Bartlett Publishers, 2017.
- An online Prolog book by Hein will also be helpful:
You can install the Prolog environment that we will use in class
by going to SWI Prolog.
You want the latest Stable release. Versions
are available for most computing environments. This software is already
installed on the Truman Student image, meaning on pretty much every
Windows computer available to students on campus.
We will do relatively little with this and not until later in the
semester, so installing this does not need to be an immediate
We will be using LaTex to format homework problems for submission.
Here are some online resources to help with that.
- A short guide
to LaTeX. Start here if you're completely unfamiliar with
LaTeX. Also start here to refresh yourself on the basics if
- A longer guide
to LaTeX, with much more detail than the short guide.
- You can download MikTeX and
install MikTeX on your own (Windows) computer. From this page choose
Download MikTeX 2.9 from the left menu, then choose what you want to
install. MikTeX is installed on all Truman Windows computers.
- Another way to use LaTeX
is Overleaf which is a WYSIWYG
editor that lets you type in LaTeX and immediately see the
- Tom Schneider's incredibly complete resource
page for biologists has endless help for non-biologists
- A page
with lots of LaTeX math symbols is also available. If you can't
find the symbol you want on this page, then you probably don't really
want that symbol.
- TeX Resources
on the Web
A comprehensive listing of TeX and LaTeX resources.
- There may be one or two Prolog assignments during the semester.
- There will be 8 to 10 homework
assignments during the semester.
- LaTeX Review is the Introduction to
LaTeX lab that I use in CS 191. Those unfamiliar with LaTeX might
want to work through it. It is NOT required for this class.
- Homework 1 Assigned: 25 January 2023,
Due: 3 February 2023
- Homework 2 Assigned: 3 February 2023,
Due: 13 February 2023
- Homework 3 Assigned: 13 February 2023,
Due: 22 February 2023
- Homework 4 Assigned: 22 February 2023,
Due: 3 March 2023
- Homework 5 Assigned: 3 March 2023,
Due: 22 March 2023
- Homework 6 Assigned: 22 March 2023,
Due: 31 March 2023