CS 315 Project Milestone 3: Javascript

Assigned: 30 October 2017   Due: 13 November 2017

The third Milestone for your project requires you to augment your site with Javascript. The focus for this milestone is on adding some client-side dynamic features to your site. We have looked at examples of this in class and you are welcome to incorporate some of these ideas, as well as ideas specific to your own project. Somewhere in your site you may also want you to explore the use of AJAX for dynamically communicating with the server without reloading the entire page.

You are required as much as possible to put your Javascript into separate file(s) and incorporate those files into your documents. You are should use unobtrusive Javascript techniques to connect your Javascript code to the rest of your documents. Javascript, being code, requires a reasonable level of documentation using comments.

I will allow the use of Javascript frameworks for this assignment, but I do not encourage you to use them. I am not especially familiar with any of them and will not be much help with debugging. If you are already familiar with a framework and really want to use it, I won't stop you. If you are using a framework, be sure that you "add value" above and beyond what the framework provides.

It is okay for you to borrow liberally from Javascript code that you find on the web. Be sure you indicate that you are borrowing and where you are borrowing from. This is kind of like long quotes of sources in a paper, so be aware that a site that just has a bunch of really cool Javascript from other places won't necessarily get you the kind of evaluation that you probably want.

Where possible your pages should use valid HTML5 syntax. You should validate your pages using the W3 validator as described in class. You should primarily use an external style sheet, with inline or document styles as needed for particular documents. When you need to use something that won't validate as strict, you should clearly indicate what you are doing. Gratuitously nonvalidating pages are not acceptable.

Your project will be evaluated based on its adherence to the requirements, its demonstration of your understanding of a reasonable amount of Javascript, its use of well-written, well-documented Javascript code and the level of creativity is exhibits.

Turn in your submission using the Assignment Submission Page for this class. Be sure that your submitted URL will remain stable while I am grading it, even if you have moved on to later parts of your project. For this milestone I will ask that you also give me a link to a short document that describes what you have done with Javascript on your pages and any design decisions and compromises you have made. Use the annotation part of the submission page to do this.