CS 480 Project Assignment

It is now time to start thinking about the project you will complete for this class. Your project will give you a chance to explore a significant AI area in more detail than we will get to in class. Your project will be done in groups of 3 or 4. Your project will have a significant software core and the code will be written in Python.

The big idea of the project is that I want you to work with a well-defined AI approach, applying it to a problem area of your choice. So, picking an interesting problem area is important, but so is your selection of a clearly defined AI approach. Some projects will be demonstrations that show how a particular technique can effectively solve some kind of problem. Some projects will be more experimental, treating the software system as an empirical entity to be studied.

It is acceptable (and probably often necessary) for your project to start with existing Python code. You will need to clearly document this source and clearly define how your project extends what you started with.

As the first step in this project you are required to submit a project proposal. Your project proposal should be 1 to 2 pages (more is okay but not required) that states who the members of the group are and goes into some detail about what the project will be. Lots of possible topic ideas are available online. Lots of other ideas are certainly possible. Using my professorial prerogative, I will unilaterally state that no projects involving the game of poker are allowed. I will listen contemplatively to any objections to this decision. Also, just building a program that solves Sudoku puzzles is not adequate.

The overall timeline for the project will require you to submit two progress reports, each of which will ask you for particular details about the progress you are making. Near the end of the semester a final project report will be due and you will give a (graded) in class presentation of your project as a team.

Your entire team might be required to meet with me in my office (at least once) as part of this process. I will tell you about your first meeting as part of my response to your project proposal. Of course, you are welcome to meet with me individually or in groups at other times as well.

Your project proposal is due by Friday, March 9. Each team should hand in a printed document that describes their project and who is involved. One per team.